Sunday, November 13, 2005

When your head says one thing and your whole life says another, your head always loses.

Let's just say I'm not in the mood to write a review today. This week has been rather nasty with the dark cloud of Jolly Ol' Saint Nick, pumpkin pies, murdered pine trees and Frankenstein's "turducken" looming above my cleanly-shaven head.

The first thing that chapped my hide today was the news that the third (and now apparently final) season of Arrested Development will be cut down from it's initial 22 episodes to a measley 13. I'm truly surprised that it lasted this long to begin with. For those of you who don't know, FOX is notorious for dropping shows, almost right after airing, when their Nielsen ratings are only par-for-the-course. Arrested Development's ratings had been rather low ever since it aired, struggling to find an audience. However, the show seemed to still pull in every critical praise from around the nation and grabbed 5 Emmy's for it's first season including "Outstanding Comedy Series." Several nominations and awards flourished since it's first broadcast.

When I meant that FOX was notorious for dropping shows quickly, just look at this example:

Head Cases aired for only two episodes and was canceled earlier this year. The producers of this show actually shot six, but FOX canned them after only two, not even broadcasting the other four that they paid for! I can't say I actually watched this show, but I do have sympathy for those who are creatively involved with a show and the FOX studio execs that they have to deal with, who almost always have a knee-jerk reaction to low ratings.

I'm waiting for the day that FOX greenlights a show, they shoot and put together a pilot, then they advertise the show as one of their "hot new shows" for their fall lineup and then they cancel the show before it ever airs.





Spent yesterday working and then was pleasantly surprised when I arrived home to find my Netflix movies patiently waiting for me in the mailbox. I attempted to watch one of them on Saturday evening, but the loss of sleep working a "clopen" shift (close the night before, open the next morning) snuck up on me. I crashed early that night after dosing off several times and watched John Huston's Key Largo late this morning.

Above average stereo-typical Humphrey Bogart noir picture where Bogart plays the typical anti-hero. Edward G. Robinson plays a mobster from the north who's taken over a small hotel run by a cripple, James Temple (Lionel Barrymore) and his daughter-in-law, Nora (Lauren Bacall). In this film, the mobsters reminisce about the "good 'ol days" of prohibition, hoping one day that it'll come back and when it does, they'll "do things right" this time by working together while Edward G. Robinson chews on every scene he's in on how much of a "bad ass" he really is. Check it out if you get the chance.





Sorry to disappoint about the absence of a review today. With working more nights for the next couple of months, I can see myself pecking away at the keyboard before heading off to unload a truck. Maybe I can use that time to my advantage. Until then, enjoy what I can post and I'll try dearly not to let all three of you down.

No comments: