Wednesday, November 9, 2005

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

My intentions were to post a review today. I seriously debated the issue last night as I wanted to review a film that is considered to be a "classic." Now, not just a classic in a sense of what I like, but respected throughout the entertainment industry as one of the greatest pictures ever made.

I sat down in front of the computer last night, knowing I didn't have to go into work the next day. I decided to be a good boss and let my senior work today while I vegged out at home. That sounds horrible, but there's more to it.

He was initially scheduled off today, but some "killjoy" (also known as middle management) decided to have him come in for two hours to participate in a "round table" for new employees. They wanted to know how he was coming along and if maybe he needed additional training, thus ruining his day off. I told him he could work my shift, and in the process, I would work his Saturday morning shift so he could enjoy an entire weekend away from retail hell. He took me up on my offer, so now I sit here writing about it.

But I digress...

When I finally realized that writing a review to Chinatown would require some serious thought, pulling back the many layers of mystery, intrigue and incest, I decided it would take more than one night. In fact, when researching more about the production of this film, I realized that it would be rather time-consuming.

Chinatown, just in it's written form, is widely considered the pinnacle example of an original screenplay. Robert Towne was also the only one who took home an Oscar that night, even though the film itself was nominated for an additional 10 categories including Best Picture (the competition was fierce, including the champion that night; another film that is widely considered one of the greatest ever made).

With the holiday season quickly approaching us like a runaway locomotive, I came to the conclusion that I'll save the "heavy weight contenders" for sometime after Jolly Ol' Saint Nick passes by this house, stuffing all of our stockings with some sort of crude fuel source.

If you really want to know what's been eating away most of my spare time (besides work, of course), then please read the following disclaimers:

Stay away from the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX)
At first passing you might think "what's the big deal?" However, if you have any interest in the projected outcomes of the box office success of any films throughout the year, you'll soon sign up (which is free, by the way) and you'll be investing in no time. I started this several years ago, and am currently trending a net worth of just over $5 million (they start you off with just $2 million to invest). Even though there are probably several hundreds of thousands of other players out there right now with better portfolios (yes, I said portfolios), not quite tripling my initial net worth by investing in movie stocks and star bonds could turn out to be a respectable racket for me one day.

Avoid revisiting television shows on DVD
Sometimes they can swallow you whole without a seconds notice. By the time you realize you've spent way too much time watching shows like "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", "Dead Like Me" or "The Shield" (just to name a few), it's already too late. What you are about to read is my live journal entry from December of last year:

----------
...this will be a short post...

This is a rather frightening time for me... it's been approximately 17 days since my last post and I have gone through three seasons of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." That's 66 episodes of Joss Whedon goodness. Counting the first season, I've viewed 78 episodes in a month's time. Actually, that's down right disturbing!

I can't help but be addicted to some of the most creative and humorous writing on television today... and I missed it when it originally broadcast. My friend Ryan and his wife have been extremely generous in lending out all of the DVD sets they have (which includes all but the 7th).

This weekend I'll be in Chattanooga visiting with family. It will give me a chance to slow down and stop the Buffy consumption for a couple of days. Here's hoping I won't be going through too many withdrawals come Sunday night!

----------

Be afraid... be very afraid. Before you know it you'll have turned 30 years old and attempt to write movie reviews for a hobby.

(insert nervous laughter here)

Until this weekend, dear readers.

[Title Quote From: Fight Club]

No comments: