Saturday, May 29, 2004

And it's always there, in the lower right hand corner, just waiting to suck.

Well, my friends (and when I say my friends, I currently mean the only two that read this right now) the "CHiPs" Booze-a-thon took place last evening and I rather had a good time. But I will warn all those out there who find it necessary to try such foolish things:

#1. Make sure that you choose a beverage that you will enjoy.
Now people might realize that it shouldn't matter after a few bottles what you're drinking, but that's not entirely true. I happen to enjoy drinking beer. Not always on a regular basis, but I've grown to become somewhat of a connoisseur. I tried to stay away from the cheap domestics ever since I gained my independence. Not to say that I have consumed the likes of bottled piss, but I'd prefer not to spend my money on it. There are a few that I try to indulge on a regular basis: Bohannon's Vanilla Creme (brewed locally here in Nashville), Samuel Adam's Cherry Wheat and Rolling Rock, to name a few.

The plan was simple: purchase a six pack of Rolling Rock (last resort since my previous two choices were difficult to find) and if I got past those six green bottles, then finish off the rest of the Miller High Life (don't ask). Well, after eating a fairly large dinner, the festivities began. I chose to drink some of my beer with dinner (bad mistake), but after everyone was finished, Will decided that we should start with a clean slate. That meant finishing off almost my entire bottle. By the time I had completed my second bottle about 30 minutes into "Aweigh We Go," the taste of beer had suddenly turned my gag reflexes into a hair-trigger. I needed to find something else to drink or I'd be cleaning up a very large mess directly in front of the couch.

I've always been a huge soda drinker; as far back as I can remember. When I first started drinking, beer was a very difficult thing to choke down, especially when it was Sam Adams. Hey, the advertisements wooed me, but the flavor had yet to kick in. My only alternatives at the time was either hard liquor (not a chance while living with my parents), wine (no interest), wine coolers (I decided I wasn't gay enough) or something called "Zima". I took a chance and the rest was history. Drinking this was like drinking soda with an obvious advantage. Same alcohol content as beer but I was able to finish a bottle without revisiting last night's pasta primavera.

Fast-forward several years, and now there's a slew of malt beverages taking up half the cooler space that was originally intended for beer. To make a long story short, I am eternally grateful for "Smirnoff Twisted V Green Apple." The name's fairly retarded, but who cares! Mmmm... Flavored beer. So choose wisely, my friends.

#2. Don't eat too much.
This is just as simple as it states. You eat too much and you run into the problem of where to put your beverage. God created a "full gauge" in you for a reason and choosing to ignore that gauge could end in disaster. Get food in your stomach so you don't make yourself sick. Eat too much food and you run into the same general problem.

Needless to say, this was rather a test run for myself. I had never participated in a drinking game related to a show or movie before. I had read several games posted out there, but never included myself in the mess until last night. Drinking games can be fun, but you have to follow the rules.

My advice: Make up your own if you can't find one you like. Don't have too many rules or it gets out of hand. Don't be too specific or it can give you a headache. Too few rules and what's the point!

Scorecard:
3 complete episodes

"Aweigh We Go" - weak espisode for a drinking game. Ponch spends too much time pouting over a boat he wants to purchase. 12 fl. oz. avg. consumption

"One Two Many" - this episode conveys how much you drink by the end credits. 30 fl. oz. avg. consumption

"Surf's Up" - this episode made us realize we needed to revise the rules (the exposure of Ponch's nipples - finish your bottle/glass). 24 fl. oz. avg. consumption

Total beverages consumed:
1 Miller High Life, 2 Rolling Rock, 3 Smirnoff Twisted V Green Apple, 5 Mike's Hard Cranberry Lemonade; 6 Hooch's Hard Orange

Side Note: All episodes were from the first season and watched in the order of original broadcast. I will be revising my CHiPs drinking game within the next few days as well 'cause you know what they say: "Practice does make perfect, especially when it involves alcohol." Lastly, if you believe the amount of alcohol comsumed was weak, it's cause we're not alcoholics. 72 fl. oz. is a lot to drink over the course of 2.5 hours.

Hope everyone out there has a great Memorial Day Weekend. I'll be spending it at Big Blue. Please keep the men and women in your thoughts and prayers out there right now risking their lives every day so we live in freedom.

No comments: