Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A World Without Writers

I've dabbled a little bit in the whole process of screenwriting back when I was in college and it's difficult. Trying to conjure something out of nothing can garner great frustrations, but it can also be quite rewarding when you've delighted your instructor on a great original idea or being able to properly execute the visual artform. I've come to the conclusion that I support the writer's strike. Even if it means that I'll be up to my ears in reality shows by February sweeps of next year, so be it.

I predict that we're in for the long haul, and even though it may mean that I'll have to wait forever for the series finale of Scrubs, I personally don't care. I've come across some good articles and blogs that express the concern of the writer's strike. Most give merit to their cause, and even though I'm not a huge fan of unions in general, I can completely understand and identify with their frustrations with the AMPTP.

The first is from John August's personal website. John August is a screenwriter who's penned such films as Big Fish, Charlie & The Chocolate Factory and Go. I personally don't care for everything that would be on his resumé, but I appreciate his perspective on the situation given here.

The other article is on the eminent death of television. It's written by Damon Lindelof, the co-creator and head writer for the television series Lost. I don't personally care for Lost, but his comments on where our future is headed in regards to how we, as a general public, will receive our entertainment, is expressed here.

(My sincerest apologies in advance for any link that I post which will eventually be unavailable. Newspaper and magazine websites are notorious for removing archived data and links after a certain period of time. I've saved the article for future reference in PDF format, in case this happens.)

For some highly amusing anecdotes, I highly recommend you check out:

LateShowWritersOnStrike.com

I recommend the story involving the "Hulk Woman."


Lastly, I post a video entitled "A World Without Writer." I'd comment more, but it speaks for itself and the importance of their creativity and input in the entertainment juggernaut that is Hollywood.


No comments: