Sunday, March 19, 2006

Now why don't you scrub my nuts or something?

I'm thinking of stealing an idea that was proposed to me last week. My good friend Brandon was in town visiting for the weekend and said that he wanted to do a review of the American Film Institute's 100 Years, 100 Movies. He would start at #100 and work his way down.

Then I told him "why should you do that when you could watch the IMDb Bottom 100?"

How can you go wrong with watching... and then reviewing... Anus Magillicutty ?

Other than making your eyes bleed, I'm sure it's a great cinematic masterpiece.

And the more I think about the horrors of watching such gems as: Santa with Muscles , You Got Served , Leonard Part 6 , 'Manos': The Hands of Fate (translation: 'Hands': The Hands of Fate) , Meatballs III: Summer Job and The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!? , the more I'm interested in doing it myself.

But I then realize that my tolerance for pain is not as high as Willis'. Besides, Willis had an idea to do a column (currently unnamed) reviewing $1 DVDs from the bargin bin at Wal-Mart. Or so he said... now they sit in his room collecting dust including the title, Incident on a Dark Street starring William Shatner as "Deaver G. Wallace."

Watching crappy movies is not my thing. I have to be in the mood to watch said garbage, and it usually helps being moderately intoxicated... any beer will do. My current choice has been Red StripeƂ®. It's beer. Hooray Beer!

Anyways... back to what I was originally posting about.

I'm thinking of starting with #100 - #91 of AFI's list. These are the following films:

100. YANKEE DOODLE DANDY (1942)
99. GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER (1967)
98. UNFORGIVEN (1992)*
97. BRINGING UP BABY (1938)
96. THE SEARCHERS (1956)
95. PULP FICTION (1994)*
94. GOODFELLAS (1990)*
93. THE APARTMENT (1960)*
92. A PLACE IN THE SUN (1951)
91. MY FAIR LADY (1964)

You can find the entire list located here.

Of course, if I do this, I have to start off with a musical. I hate musicals. There are only a select few musicals that I can tolerate. Watching a musical is like torture for me. Every time they break out into song it removes me from the picture and I'm just counting down the time until they finish singing.

This also would involve me either having to go a cookie-cutter video store or starting up Netflix again. However, I could check TiVo and see if it's broadcasting on TCM or something such as that...

... I quickly run and check the next 13 program days on the TiVo and search the word "Yankee" ... no such luck.

Well, this list may have to wait. I'm trying to avoid any extra expenses at the moment. Maybe I'll have to stick with what I have in my collection that are in the first 10 films listed above. Those are marked with an asterisk (*).

I don't know... should I attempt a renewed membership with Netflix? Should I wait for TCM to broadcast? Should I break down and and visit the local Blockbuster wondering if they'll even have a copy in stock? Will Batman be able to escape The Joker's menacing trap this time? Tune in next week. Same Bat time, Same Bat channel.

(Feedback and suggestions are welcome.)

No comments: